With the holidays fast approaching, we know that everyone is looking to spruce up their homes and make them just a little cozier, prettier, and more colorful. One of the best ways to do that is with flowers! Here's some tips & tricks for those struggles that arise when you bring home grocery store flowers.
What you'll need:
Clear tape (if your vessel has a wide opening)
Vase (Don't be afraid to get creative with this! Anything can be a vessel, so don't think you have to stick to a traditional vase!)
First thing's first:
- TIP: As soon as you bring your flowers home, be sure to give the stems a nice cut, remove the leaves from the bottom portion of the stem, and let them soak in some water for a bit before arranging. This allows the flowers to be properly hydrated, making your arrangement last longer!
- TRICK: If you are using a vessel with a wide opening, you will want to put tape across the top to create a grid, so that you can have more control over where your flowers fall in your arrangement. This allows you to balance the nature of the way flowers fall with your own creativity and design.
MAKING YOUR ARRANGEMENT:
- When you get started, the first thing you'll want to do is fill your vessel with greens (as we like to say - "Greening it up!") Greening your arrangement first gives it shape and fills it in, allowing your flowers to be the focal point of the arrangement once it's complete.
- TIP: Be sure to remove all leaves from the stems when working on your greening. When leaves get in your water, they cause bacteria and shorten the life of your flowers.
- Once your greening is done, you are ready to add your flowers! Be sure to cut your stems all different lengths, so that your arrangement has some height and dimension to it. Cutting all your stems the same length causes the arrangement to lack shape and fall flat, and what's unique about that? Have fun with it!
- TRICK: Adding some natural herbs to your arrangement such as rosemary, lavender or chamomile, adds a wonderful fragrance that is the perfect touch for any home. Plus they add amazing texture!
The most important thing for you to remember as you create your arrangement is that there is no wrong way to do it - everyone does it differently! Let your flowers reflect your personality and add a personal touch to your home. Have FUN!
As always, don't forget that your friends here at White Fig are just a phone call away if you want us to create something for you! We are now taking orders for the holidays, so don't hesitate to reach out. We are in love with the holiday season and all the festive flowers that come with it! Come get a taste of how we do holidays at this year's Sip-N-Shop, Saturday, November 18th from 3-6pm on Main Street Newhall. We will be open all day with some fun holiday sales and in-store wine tastings!